Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Shenanigans at work Part II

It's Tuesday and things have been a bit slow so far, although I'm pretty sure we'll get busy towards the end of the week.  My supervisor had me make three kinds of chocolate truffles...
 
From the back: Peanutbutter, Coconut-Almond Caramel, and Raspberry-White chocolate truffle.  I sprinkled red powder food color on the molds for the raspberry ones.  These turned out quite nice, with the shine that's characteristic of well tempered chocolate.

As I've mentioned in the previous post, I was having issues with the Napoleons.
Here are the ones I've made a little over a week ago...
 
They look fine on the outside.  But notice that the middle pastry is still underdone :(  And the pastry cream?  It was very stiff, glue-like, the texture was just weird, and even the taste was a bit off.  I freeze the half-sheet sized cake, then cut it once it's completely frozen.  I'm wondering if freezing the pastry cream posed a problem?
As an experiment, I froze a dollop of pastry cream overnight, then thawed it to see if that changes the texture.

It did.

Although still soft, the texture was grainy and not creamy at all.  The freezing process probably broke down the cornstarch.  As for the cream getting unusually stiff, I'm guessing maybe the pastry themselves sucked the moisture out of the cream?

More research needs to be done.  I've looked up recipes online, browsed through textbooks...and none of them instructs the napoleons to be frozen before slicing.  The only ones that do use diplomat cream or mousseline, which are basically pastry cream with whipped cream or whipped butter (respectively) incorporated into it, which will help stabilize the cream.

I've noticed that my supervisor has been acting kind of cold...I dunno, she rarely smiles around me and is extremely nitpicky only to me.  She's probably not happy with me.  Last few weeks have been bad...the lemon bars cracked badly, then the Napoleons, the Cherry poundcakes, the lemon madeleines were apparently overcooked as well.... *sigh* Feels like I can't do anything right these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment