Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Shenanigans at Work Part III

My last few posts have been about some stuff I made that didn't turn out well.
The following week, I redeemed myself (somewhat)...
 
Here are the Orange Poundcakes I made and glazed...
The sides definitely arent' as dark as the ones I made last week.  I've been careful to check them by poking them with a knife so make sure they don't overbake.  These turned out perfect.
 
As for the Napoleons, I really wasn't sure what caused the last ones to go berserk.  I ever so carefully made the pastry cream;  I didn't put in as many folds in the puff pastry, so it won't puff too much.  I baked the sheets off, putting extra pans to make sure they're weighed down, and baked them longer than the last time.
After assembling them, I covered the sides in plastic wrap so they won't dry out, stuck it in the freezer...and crossed my fingers.
 
The next day, I sliced them up, and had my boss and supervisor taste test it.
 
...It tasted fine.  He even said it's like "Napoleon ice cream" since it was still frozen.
I'm glad these turned out fine, but that's so bizarre.  I wonder what happened with the last batch?  The only thing I could think of was that with the last batch of pastry cream, I whisked the sugar and the cornstarch together before whisking it into the yolks.  This time, I whisked them in separately.  Hmmm....
 
This week, with the upcoming Mother's Day, I made sugar cookies for the occassion...

"#1 MUM"...you know, the flowers.  Pun intended.

My supervisor, K, still seems kinda cold to me.  Yesterday, I made mini-fruit tarts for an order.  These were super small, 1.5" in diameter tart shells, so I could only put three kinds of fruits (a blueberry, a quarter of a strawberry, and a teeny slice of kiwi) on it.  After I finished, I put them in the fridge....well, sometime later, without saying anything to me, K takes them out, and puts a slice of orange on each of them.  Sure they look more colorful and better, but goodness, if they needed to be fixed, why didn't she just tell me?  It just feels like she's avoiding me, like she's constantly mad at me for some reason...

No comments:

Post a Comment