Sunday, April 21, 2013

What I do for a living Part III ~ March of the Cupcakes

In previous posts, I've showed samples of tartlets that I've made at work.  With tarts, we (for the most part) stick to the standard staples, like the chocolate tarts, pear-almond tarts, lemon and lime tarts, etc.  Cupcakes, however, are a different story.  Every time we make cupcakes, we try to get as creative as possible.  My supervisor actually instructed me not to "make boring cupcakes"...by that, I'm assuming plain vanilla and/or chocolate.  So these are some that I came up with...

 Key Lime Cupcakes with lime curd filling and creamy coconut frosting, topped with toasted coconuts.  This one sold pretty well.
 Pistachio Cupcakes with apricot jam filling and orange-honey buttercream.  Topped with orange zest and chopped pistachios.  There's no actual pistachio paste/nuts in the cake batter, just flavoring.  I know, it's kinda sorta "cheating", but let's face it, pistachios are FRIGGIN' expensive.  They still tasted good though.  Let's see how this one sells...
These are the ones my co-worker made.  The ones in the back are what she named "Banana Split";  roasted banana cupcake, chocolate ganache filling, strawberry frosting, caramel sauce, and maraschino cherry.  The ones in the front are Blackbottom Cupcakes, basically chocolate cupcakes with ricotta cheese filling baked into it, almost like a cheesecake.

...Have I mentioned how much I love working at Pierre's Bakery??  I get to fully utilize all the skills I learned at school, get to come up with my own creation, learn from whatever mistakes I make and thus improve my skills.... I mean, this is what I went to school for!  To whoever is reading this post... if you hate your job, leave it.  Don't stay because "it pays well".  Go for the job/career you've always wanted to do, even if it mean less pay (unless you absolutely have no choice but to stay...).  Trust me, you'll be glad you switched. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment