Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What I do for a living Part I

After quitting Scheels in December, I got the job as an assistant pastry chef at Pierre's Bakery...which happens to be a two-minute drive from my house.  The time and the gas money saved has been tremendous and I am eternally thankful for that.

We make everything from scratch--which is exactly what I went to school for.  I've been working here only four months, but I'm loving every minute of it.  Here are some of the stuff I've been making.

When I applied for the job, the owner called me a few days later and asked me to come in for a "test/audition".  They are going to have me make something on the spot and see how I do.
So on the first day of the job, they had me make a 10" fruit tart...from scratch of course.  Other than not knowing where the ingredients and equipment were, the "test" was a breeze.
Here's the finished product...

 
They were impressed, and hired me on the spot! :)
 
The next few weeks were super busy, being Christmas season and all.  We had tons of orders from hotels and restaurants.  We made gingerbread boys...


Mini apple tarts....

....and Mini triple berry tarts.
 
While filling orders are important, keeping the shopfront well-stocked is just as important.
Here are the Pear-Almond tarts--tart crust filled with almond paste, pear slices, then baked.

 
Oh. My. Goodness.  I made a carrot cake.  For the first time.  Seriously.  Carrot cake is a very American dessert--there's nothing even remotely similar to it in Japan anyway.  Since my family isn't a big carrot cake fan, I never really had the opportunity/incentive to make one in the past.  Well here it is...my first carrot cake!  Ours have shredded coconuts and bits of pineapple for added moisture and flavor.

 Our bakery doesn't just do sweets.  We also have savory stuff, like soups, salads, sandwiches, and quiche.  As an experiment, we made some savory tarts.  The ones in the back are sun-dried tomato & goat cheese;  the ones in the front are mushroom & asiago.  The mushroom ones were more popular than the goat cheese ones.
I will keep posting some of the pics I take at work, to keep record and for future reference...and for your enjoyment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment