Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What I do in my spare time Part II

My sister just had a baby (a boy!)...and as much as we wanted to go visit her, we couldn't, due to dad's health.  So we decided to send her goodies instead.  We had some sweet adzuki beans, so I made some adzuki buns....
 

...And shaped them into Anpanman, Melonpanna, Doraemon, and Kogepan.  The faces are made from shortbread cookie dough; the eyes, mouths, and markings with chocolate-egg glaze.  Kogepan is sulking in the corner, as usual...
We packaged them up along with Earl Grey poundcakes.  Few days later, she sent us a pic of my little niece happily chowing down Melonpanna :)

The church that I attend had our 50th anniversary (since its establishment) potluck dinner.  The strawberries were on sale that week, so I made...
A Strawberry Tart, with chopped pistachios for color and a nutty crunch.  This one disappeared fairly quickly.

Work has been OK, we have both busy days and slow days.  I'm still learning things, making mistakes every now and then...like today for instance.
There was an order for a Cherry-Almond poundcake, so I made it.  When I put the cherries in, I didn't mix them in too much, since I didn't want to crush them, and thought the marbled effect looked pretty.
I checked after an hour, and they were still gooey on the inside, so I left them in for additional 15 minutes.  After glazing them, I left.  Well, an hour later, my supervisor sends me this pic...
 
...saying that "These are BURNT and the cherries aren't mixed in well enough, the cake should be pink."
...?  I understand the cherry part, but "burnt"?  They were underbaked otherwise...little things like these greatly stress me out (although temporarily), not only because I just messed up, but because I just wasted precious ingredients, cost the business money, etc. 
It's been four months since I started working here, but of course, there are still lots of stuff to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment