Thursday, April 18, 2013

What I do in my spare time... Part I


So what does a baker/pastry chef do on days off?  Well, I don't know about others...but I end up doing what I do at work...make desserts and pastries.  I think it's cool that my hobbies and my career matches.  Unfortunately, this career has turned me into a monomaniac, which makes me almost always turn the conversation back to food.  Hence socially awkward.  But what I make in the kitchen is well-accepted by others, so I guess I make up for it...?
 
Anyway, here are some of the things I do at home, on my days off.  Most of my days off are devoted to culinary experiments, gastronomical exploration, and every now and then, cleaning.
 
I had a bunch of dried fruits and nuts leftover from the holidays, so to utilize them, I made...

 A Mendiant Tart.  A mendiant is a chocolate confection composed of a disk of chocolate embedded with bits of dried fruit and nuts, each representing the four monastic orders of Dominicans (raisins), Augustinians (hazelnuts), Franciscan (figs) and Carmelites (almonds).  Over time, the traditional recipe for this has changed to incorporate other fruit and nut combination.  Here, I used pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts, cranberries, golden raisins and apricots.  It looks almost like a jewelry box.
 
 This is the sugar cookie I made for Valentine's Day.  I wanted to do a Japanese theme, and came up with this design;   a design seen in Japanese lacquer (i.e. urushi) jewelry boxes.  It turned out too pretty to eat.

Key lime and lemon bars.  If I had some tequila, I would've turned those key lime bars into Margarita bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment