Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Today's Not-so-conventional Dessert

There was a major avocado sale the past week--probably due to Mardi Gras--so Mom and I bought a small stockpile of them. I picked out some ripe for the next day or two, and several unripe ones for later. We put them in salads, sushi, omelets, or just plain with soy sauce and wasabi. But by the end of the week, we still had about 4 perfectly ripe avocados. What to do with them? I would've turned them into soups or guacamole--had my parents liked Latin American foods. But since cilantro is one of Dad's least favorite foods (among many), I had to think of something else. Can desserts be made from avocado? I thought. I did a quick online search and found a sweet avocado smoothie recipe. If it can be made into a smoothie, then it can be made into....an ice cream!

I diced up the avocados--which turned out to have the perfect consistency--drizzled in lemon juice, sugar, milk, and a dash of vanilla, and blended them into a smoothie-like puree. I churned the mixture into our ice cream maker. The result.... ultra-smooth and creamy ice cream that's also surprisingly light and delicious.

I served it with strawberry coulis, grapefruit curd, and bruleed bananas. I named it after my friend who is, unfortunately, allergic to avocados, bananas, and strawberry. He was flattered by the dessert but also bummed he can't have any of it.

The avocado ice cream and the grapefruit curd were a match made in heaven! The ice cream is egg-free, and loaded with vitamins and healthy fats. If a non-dairy substitute (i.e. soy, hemp, rice milk) is used instead of milk, it will be a vegan ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment