Saturday, March 3, 2012

Creme Brulee shot!

Some more creme brulees this week!

There are so many flavor variations with creme brulee! So far, I've made vanilla, coconut, and Earl Grey. I've compiled a list of flavors for me to make. Next one up was--coffee!
I love anything coffee flavored. For the custard, I put in about a tablespoon of instant coffee for a serving of three--about a teaspoon per person, which should be just the right amount.

I served it with Taihitian vanilla ice cream, mini-chocolate chip cookies, candied pecans, chocolate and caramel sauce. It was soooo good! The bitter coffee flavor was balanced by the sweetness of burnt sugar, chocolate and caramel sauce; mellowed by the ice cream; and the chocolate chip cookie added textural contrast and rounded everything together.

Then, on a whim, I tried to see if bruleeing a cream in a shot glass was at all possible. I piped in a bit of grapefruit curd into a shotglass, sprinkled on some sugar and bruleed away...

...it worked. Granted, it was grapefruit curd after all, so it wasn't really a creme brulee. I'm sure it's possible to bake a custard in something as small as a shotglass--or it's probably easier to prepare a stirred custard creme brulee. These stirred types are made for creme brulee tarts, and are thicker than the baked version. They are made, then deposited into a tart shell, then bruleed.
I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with the butane torch! What shall I make next...?

No comments:

Post a Comment