Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fruit Tarts Galore!!

Every Sunday, I make goodies to take to church for the people to enjoy with their coffee after worship; been doing that for well over a year now. Well...last week, a gentleman came up to me and handed me a card. Puzzled, I thanked him, and he smiled back saying, "No...thank YOU."

Upon opening the envelope, I was surprised and delighted to discover a thank you card from several people in the congregation. It said, "Thank you for the delicious treats," and "Thank you for your sweet ministry." Awww....so heartwarming.... It's little things like these that drives me, that gives me motivation to keep on making pastries :)

Then I saw another envelope along with the card. It turned out to be a gift certificate for SpoonsN'Spice, a local kitchen gadget store! I was stoked! :D

Later that week, I went to the store and got the torch for bruleeing creme brulee and meringue topping--something that I've always wanted.

Wanting to show my appreciation, I decided to go a little fancy this Sunday...

Fruit tartlets! There was a major berry sale at several grocery stores, so I stockpiled them. The shells turned out awesome--buttery and crispy. I filled them with pastry cream, topped them with the berries, and brushed them with strawberry jam. I think I made about 25 of these; but alas, when I put them out, they disappeared in a matter of few minutes. A lady suggested I take one to the pastor, and I managed to grab one of the remaining three. That was close....

I saved two shells for our own dessert (so Dad wouldn't get sulky). I put mangoes and a mint leaf garnish.
But there was still half a tub of the pastry cream left, along with lots of berries. What shall I do with them? Make more tartlets of course!
I ended up making ten of them for three families, and three for our own. Mrs. A's family has a voracious appetite, so we gave them six--that should be enough for two adults and two small children, right?

Later that day, Mrs. A informed me that her hubby was "Mmmmmmm...."-ing as he ate it. Gotta love feedbacks like that :)
But there were STILL some leftover cream and tart dough. So this time around...

Voila. A 4" tartlet, enough for three small bites.

Thank you everyone! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment