Thursday, February 16, 2012

Going pyro

OMGoodness, I LOVE my new butane torch! As a matter of fact, I love it so much I've been bruleeing every desserts that I've been serving the past few days.
First up, bruleed banana. There is bananas foster, but I like my bananas more intact and not as sweet. Regular bananas foster uses lots of brown sugar and butter.
On the plate: Bruleed banana w/almonds, pineapple compote, chocolate chip cookie, coconut sorbet.

With the exception of the chocolate chip cookie, this dessert contains no eggs or dairy. I coated a ripe banana with sugar and torched the surface until the sugar caramelized. The result was a banana with all-natural creamy sweetness, enhanced by the crisp caramelized sugar on the outside. If I substitute a vegan brownie or chocolate cake for the cookie, this would make a perfect vegan dessert!

Next up: Earl Grey Creme Brulee, white nectarine compote, fresh orange sections

The earl grey creme brulee was incredible! Perfumed with earl grey tea, its flavor only enhanced by the caramelized sugar. The fruits were a nice accompaniment as well.

This last one was a "let's throw everything together and see what I can come up with" kind of dessert. I call it "Deconstructed Strawberry & Lemon tart sans crust". Lemon curd, Italian meringue, fresh strawberries, chocolate sauce. The browned meringue was like marshmallow, its intense sweetness offset by tangy lemon curd and the not-too-sweet strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment