Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tahitian vanilla and Butane Torch

We had a HUGE blueberry sale going on this past week, so I just had to make some sort of a blueberry dessert.

So here it is...Fresh Blueberry Crumb Pie! With walnut streusel topping and the flakiest crust.

Most blueberry pies are double-crusted, meaning they have a top and a bottom crust--but I'd always preferred the crumb topping over the heavy extra pie crust. Nuts are healthier anyway. I like to serve mine warmed up, hence it's on a wooden trivet here.

Served with homemade vanilla ice cream--made from Tahitian vanilla extract! Most vanilla extracts are made from Madagascan vanilla, and they have a more woody, strong, screaming "I AM VANILLA!!" kind of flavor. Tahitian vanilla is milder, and more flowery--perhaps lady-like--softly singing "....Vanillaaaaaa...." Anyways, the pie and the Tahitian vanilla ice cream were a match made in heaven, and were quite delicious.

And remember how I used that gift certificate to SpoonsN'Spice to get a butane torch?? Well, I finally put it to use. I made coconut creme brulee, just to try something different...that and Mom claimed she "doesn't like coconut" (...and I wanted to prove her wrong).

It took me several attempts to get the torch going, but very soon, I was bruleeing away! So here it is, coconut creme brulee with coconut sorbet, butter cake, and pineapple compote. It turned out so good Mom and Dad were almost fighting over it!

What should I brulee next?? I'm worried I'm turning into a pyromaniac...

No comments:

Post a Comment