Sunday, May 16, 2010

Veal-ity Check

Last night, I finally got the incentive to cook the veal scallops that has been sitting in the freezer for a while. The only reason we bought it was because it was 50% off the regular price (hint: the store needed to GET RID OF IT). I've never cooked with veal before, but I figured it can be cooked similar to the tender cuts of beef. Boy was I wrong.
I had a bunch of asparagus that needed to be used, so I parboiled them, pounded the meat into 1/4" thick pieces, and wrapped the asparagus with the meat. They looked pretty once I trussed them. Then it was time for the actual cooking. Tender cuts of meat are generally cooked at a higher temperature than the tougher cuts, since they are usually served as rare to medium steaks. After oiling the pan and heating it to medium-high, I put the veal in...and it STUCK. It seriously would refuse to come off the pan. But it now had a nice sear on it, so I continued with the process. I added the sauce to the pan, and let it reduce for a little bit.
Voila--Teriyaki-glazed veal & asparagus.

Took the first bite, expecting it to be oh-so-tender....

Ick.

Well, it wasn't bad.... but it wasn't as delicious as some people claim it to be. It had a very mild beef flavor, and the texture was similar to pork. Even my Dad, who usually devours most of the meats off the table, didn't have the last few pieces. So I went to bed feeling sad about the veal--how, despite the inhumane treatment it goes through to get on the market, it doesn't even taste good... and if it IS supposed to taste good, how I ruined the dish, thus rendering the poor calf's death meaningleass (I seriously think that every organism that goes into the dish dies in vain if the dish doesn't turn out good).

So that was last night.

This morning--during the worship service, our pastor preached about Abraham serving VEAL as a special (and probably very tasty) dish to the three visitors. Veal is supposed to be tasty!
I am now determined to learn how to cook veal properly--not because I enjoy the novelty of eating such an expensive ingredient, but so that, in the event that I do end up cooking with veal, the calf will not die in vain--because it at least would've died to make a delicious dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment