Friday, May 7, 2010

Post Midterm Update (Part 4)....

This morning, I tried the Organic Colombian--AGAIN. This time, I used 4 level Tablespoons of whole beans (which equals about 5 Tablespoons ground) with 6 (5 oz. each) cups of water. And instead of letting it sit for half and hour while I make breakfast, I brewed it 5 minutes before we sat down to eat. Mom and I took a sip...
Wow. It was a LOT better than yesterday. But Mom still thought it was too bitter. It's probably the grinder then...aw well... Someday I will brew that perfect cup of coffee.
Anyway, this week was Cajun & Creole Cuisine.


Day 1
Gumbo; Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce; Blackened Chicken, Cajun Fettucine, Braised Scallions with Hollandaise


Day 2
Front: Crawfish Etouffee, Red Beans & Rice
Middle: Cheese Grits, Jambalaya, Sauteed Sugar Snap Peas
Back: Pecan Praline

I've never had crawfish before, so I was quite excited for this week. It like shrimp with an earthy aftertaste...like....dirt. Towards the end, we had a lot of leftovers (as usual); I ended up with several Tuppers full of jambalaya, gumbo, and red beans. I'm pretty zealous about taking foods home--I hate to see foods get wasted. My classmates will just throw them away otherwise. One time I watched in horror as this guy dumped a whole vat of (buttery, garlicky, and good)mashed potatoes into the garbage can. Coincidentally, earlier that day, I had a lady break down in tears in front of me because she had absolutely nothing left in her cupboards and no money to buy food for her child.

So I took the leftovers home. Now what to do with them? I knew Dad wouldn't eat the gumbo. We tried to get him to eat it in the past, but he refused, saying that it "smelled like armpits and black people".
I was pretty offended by his comparison of African American people to a stew and stubborn refusal to try new foods. But this time, I had a plan. Come lunch time, I reheated the gumbo... then added a glop of Worcestershire sauce, a dollop of honey, a wallop of Chardonnay, and 1 tsp of curry powder. Served it over spaghetti. Dad wolfed it down hungrily, saying that this "Okra Curry" is delicious!
(MWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!)
So that was lunch. For dessert, I wanted to use the anko (sweetened adzuki beans) I made the week before, so I made Taiyaki. One of the many Japanese sweets, Taiyaki is like a thin waffle sandwich with anko filling.
Pour the batter into the fish-shaped Taiyaki pan...
Put a scoop of anko on the batter...
Pour some more batter over the anko, then close the lid. Flip over to fry the other side...

Voila! Cooked to golden perfection!




No comments:

Post a Comment