Friday, May 14, 2010

Mom's Birthday!

Last Wednesday the 12th was my beloved Mom's birthday! Now...two days before that, (to my pleasant surprise) Dad came up to me and asked what he should get for her birthday; it's sort of rare for him to remember anniversaries and birthdays.

But I actually already had a present ready--a giftcard to one of her favorite retail stores. He asked if he should give her flowers with a birthday card. I said... Negative. Knowing Mom, she would prefer a vegetable seedling in a terra cotta pot over a flower bouquet in a crystal vase. So I suggested that I go get some eggplant seedlings and he can hand the card to her...and tell her that he loves her. (Awwww.....)

All of us know that our lives are in God's Hands. If it's His Will, He can take it away any time, today, tomorrow...or in ten minutes. That's why I felt that it's important for Dad to tell Mom that he loves her, in the event that either he or Mom dies tomorrow (that and I have no idea when the last time he told her that he loves her is).

We went out to have sushi for lunch. Ordered Sashimi Moriawase, a combination sashimi plate, a few nigiri, and bowls of rice. I cooked up a simple dinner that night: Asparagus bake, corn on the cob, planked whitefish, and salad Nicoise. Then the birthday cake...



I found this chocolate praying hands at a dollar store, and immediately thought about using it on a Christian themed cake. With this and some edible flowers, the cake had the "Garden of Gethsemane" theme--when Jesus prayed before His arrest and crucifixion.

The close up of the cake.
The cake itself was composed of two layers of gateau brushed with orange syrup, with blueberry mousse inbetween, and chopped almonds pressed on the sides. It was pretty good, but a little too sweet, and the mousse should have been a little firmer. Hmmm.... I have long ways to go to become a pro...

No comments:

Post a Comment