Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Turtle's Birthday!!

Today, May 20th, is my turtle's "birthday". I don't know his real birthday...that is, the exact date he hatched. May 20th is the day we met...and fell in love, two years ago.

On May 20, 2008, my family and I were in San Diego for a family vacation.


This is the hotel where we stayed...


All the foods we had there were delicious...this Namachirashi Sushi was $12. Seriously.


Don't woory, Be haapy...

We visited our family friend who owned a farm. He grew tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, among others. He took us on a tour....
And he was so generous he told us to take our pick of tomatoes, cucumbers, and vegetable seedlings!
Towards the end, one of the farmhands ran up to our friend saying, "Tortuga!" and showed us a bucket he was holding. We all peered inside... and there...on the bottom...


...A tiny baby turtle, little less than two-inch shell length--so probably about a week-old.
I instantly fell in love with it, but felt hesistant to just take him. I mean, I already felt bad enough picking all that fresh produce (even though he gladly let us) off the field.
I asked him what he's going to do with the turtle. His reply; turtles eat some of the crops, so probably dump him in the compost pile.
Horrified, I decided right then and there to adopt the turtle. Our friend gave me a plastic bucket to put him in. We then moved on to our next designation, the aquarium.



The next few days were spent going to various Japanese markets shopping, having lunch at the food court there. I love Japanese bakeries! They have some good quality desserts and pastries for a fair price.






Mom, seriously...



After the wonderful 2 weeks, it was time to go home. I was worried if the turtle will make the 12-hour road trip back to Utah...but much to my relief, he did just fine. I bought him a 10-gallon aquarium tank, which he outgrew in about 6 months. Two years later, he is 8" and resides in a 30-gallon tank which is still a bit small for him. I think I'll buy him a doggies wading pool once the weather warms up.


To my Kamenosuke...adopting you was a life-changing event, and one of the best decisions I've made. The peace and the joy you brought was enough to keep me sane through the toughest times of my life. Thank you baby...love you lots! :)


One week after we found him. He's the cutest turtle!
His birthday cake. A zucchini-walnut cake with mango slices on top. He only got to eat the mangoes--the cake isn't good for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment