Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Arrival...and the Retreat of Spring

It's May. The hummingbirds are supposed to be here, birds making their nests, the weather warming, the tulips blooming... but alas, that's not the case in Utah. Spring (and Fall) is short here. It lasts maybe 4 weeks, sometimes less, but usually no more than 2 months. Winters suddenly turn into summers and vice versa. So when I found some salt-cured sakura flowers and leaves (Japanese cherry blossom leaves) in the fridge, I decided to make some Sakura cookies ASAP. I said ASAP, because sakura is the symbol for spring and knowing how short the spring is here, I didn't want to put it off til it's too late. Not that it's the end of the world if I don't, but just to be in sync with the seasons....



I took a basic sweet tart crust recipe and added chopped sakura leaves. The result? Buttery, tender shortbread with a hint of sakura frangrance--similar to Sakura Mochi. The salt in the flowers counter-balanced the sweetness of the dough. Very dainty cookies excellent with tea.

So here I was, celebrating spring, when a few days later...

.......At least the tulips are blooming....

No comments:

Post a Comment