Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Gastronomical Exploration: Faustina

With dad safe and sound at the hospital, it was just me and my mom.  We decided to spend the next week or two eating out and trying out new restaurants that we weren't able to go to because of dad.  Sad to say--but it's true, dad is a finicky eater, almost never wanting to try new places and refusing to eat any cuisines that originated south of the Tropic of Cancer.
But no more that for a while!  Mom and I are taking this opportunity to go on our gastronomical exploration!
First up on the list:  Faustina.
Mom has never been here, and though I've been here before, it's been a long time.  They serve the so-called "New American" cuisine, with a strong Italian influence.

Mom ordered their lasagna.
 We were very impressed with their presentation!  It was chockful of Italian sausage, salami, grilled zucchini, spinach, and caramelized onions and three kinds of cheeses.  I love the artwork the chefs painted with the orange and yellow bell pepper sauce and balsamic reduction.  It was delicious too--very flavorful but not too greasy, with just the right amount of cheese.

As for me, I got the soup & salad combo--I just love salads :)
I had the choice of butternut squash soup or the salmon chowder.  Of course, I chose the chowder.
 The soup was delicious!  Loaded with tender diced potatoes, onion, and salmon chunks, it was rich but not greasy, and very smooth.  And oh-so-flavorful!  The salad was very good too, with red beet chips sprinkled on top for a nice crunch.
Our lunch came with a complimentary dessert--Strawberry Roulade

A jelly-roll sponge soaked with maple syrup, filled with (I think) caramel buttercream.  Topped with macerated strawberry brunoise and cinnamon whipped cream, this was actually quite light, and not too sweet.  I would've finished it if I wasn't so full.

Dad's been recovering slowly but surely.  He was pretty lucid and was apparently hallucinating too the first few days after the surgery, but he's mentally more alert now.

No comments:

Post a Comment