Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pear Frangipane Tart

There was this huge jar of pear compote sitting in the back of the fridge--and it was just begging to be let out, begging to be used and turned into a delicious dessert.
So I leafed through my Advanced Baking & Pastry textbook and came across a "Pear Almond Tart". One of the classics, it was a tart with frangipane filling and poached pears. I've never made it before, so I was psyched to try it out.
I made two, one for my church and one for the Bible study at my house. The first time, the frangipane came out creamy in the center. I wasn't sure if that was the way it's supposed to be, or it was underdone. I compared it to the picture in the book, and decided it wasn't browned enough, so I stuck it back in the oven longer. It came out better, but not perfect. Well, it still tasted good though. The second time, I baked about 10 minutes longer than the recipe stated, and it came out beautiful!

I decorated it with powdered sugar and drizzled it with caramel sauce.

Heavenly served with ice cream. The poached pear melts in your mouth, complemented by the intense nutty, almond-y frangipane. Of course, classic desserts that's been made for several centuries like this is guaranteed to taste good. How else can it stand the test of time otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment