Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Portfolio Show!

Yep, it's official...I'm done with school! But before that, I had to prepare for a show to showcase everything that I've done at school, to show potential employers what I can do. That meant a lot of pictures...and of course, samples. I printed off a bunch of pictures from school and stuff that I've been doing at home, and pasted them onto a board.
Now for the samples...in the portfolio show that I went last quarter, a bunch of people were handing out cookies, tartlets and macarons. But those can be bought at pastry shops. I wanted to make something that must be handmade by an artisan...you know, something artisanal. What about confections? Being in the Chocolates & Confections class, we just learned how to make marshmallows and fruit jellies from scratch. Gourmet flavored marshmallows and Fruit jellies would be perfect--they can't be bought in stores, shows off my skills, and makes people happy.
Which flavor should I make? I know that Kraft makes strawberry, chocolate, coconut, and (seasonal) gingerbread. Japan has made green tea flavored ones--how about other tea flavors? Like...chai and earl grey?? Brilliant!
I steeped about 4 tea bags for the Earl Grey and about 3 bags for the chai (with added chai spices) in the sugar syrup while it cooked. Right before I poured in the melted gelatin, I removed them while squeezing the "juice" out of them. Once whipped to full volume, the whole mixture is poured into a pan lined with parchment and dusted with powdered sugar. Leave it until it's cool, then it can be cut into portions.

The sheet of freshly made marshmallow. Now I just need a big enough mug of hot chocolate to accomodate it.

Marshmallow kebab. Here I cut a strip and skewered it.
How were they? Well...the Earl Grey was out-of-this-world delicious! Even my Mom, who's not a marshmallow fan, actually liked them. It starts out with honey-flavor that develops into the flowery, fruity scent of Bergamot and tea. The Chai was delicious as well, nice and spicy. Both turned out really well.
For the pates de fruits, I used the stockpile of Ataulfo mangoes and Mexican papaya that were on sale a week ago.

They were both delicious, especially the mango.
This is my pastillage plate that I painted.

And here's everything packaged and ready to be presented at the show.

The Chai has the gold ribbon and the Earl Grey has the red ribbon. And my business card :)
I also baked some breads for display.

Pan de Cioccolate, Cracked Wheat Bread (by James Beard) and my SF sourdough tattoo breads.


My table. Others were passing out truffles, breads, and a cake. A lot of people stopped by my table also--mostly because of the treats. But everyone loved them, especially the mango jellies and Chai marshmallows. Two chefs from a resort in Park City stopped by to chat.
Needless to say, I was exhausted by the end of the night. But there was still the final project for the Chocolate class that needs to be done...

No comments:

Post a Comment