Monday, April 2, 2012

The promise I made to penuche

Saturday, I was brainstorming about what treats to bring to church the next day. Looking through the fridge, lo and behold....I spot the (almost) forgotten slab of penuche fudge from the Chocolate & Confections class, all wrapped up and sitting in the back, looking a bit forlorn.
Poor thing...we made the penuche back in Week 7. This one turned out tasty but a little too soft (there was too much fondant in it to set up properly), so it was about to be thrown out. I hate wasting food, so I rescued/adopted it before it got sent to the garbage. I wrapped it up and placed it in the back of the fridge. "Dont' worry," I said. "I promise to turn you into something delicious that everyone will love."
Few weeks had gone by since then, and it was about time I fulfilled the promise I made to the poor penuche. But what can I do with it? I didn't want to serve it as is.
Can it be turned into a frosting or a glaze? I thought. So I took a small chunk,heated it in the microwave, and watched what happened. It melted. Yes...it can be made into a glaze. This will pair well with any chocolate-based pastry...and brownies would be the perfect candidate for it.
I whipped up a batch of fudge brownies. While it was cooling, I heated the entire slab of penuche on the stove. After thinning it with a tiny bit of milk, I poured the penuche glaze over the brownies, and sprinkled toasted and chopped almonds on top.
Once cooled, I cut them into squares. The penuche glaze had set up nicely, into a candy,fudge-like icing, as was expected.

How did they taste? OMGoodness...they were awesome! The buttery, caramell-y penuche was a match made in heaven with the chocolatey brownies, while providing a fudgy, candy-like textural contrast. The almonds added the crunch and balanced the sweetness. The penuche had worked its magic and elevated the plain ol'brownies into something ethereal.
I took it to church the next day. They flew off the platter, while people raved about them!
Yep. I'm glad I finally fulfilled that promise...

No comments:

Post a Comment