Saturday, April 14, 2012

A lunch for 75, a dinner for 50, and breakfast for 50

This past week, my friend from school asked me if I can help her with a catering event at her workplace--I'll get paid, of course. I was more than glad to--I'm on a job hunt, and appreciated any paid work, even if it's temporary.
She works at a Church Center in downtown. It's basically an event center, where groups from (pretty much) any religious background can hold a meeting, a conference, a retreat, etc.
There were several different groups having a meeting this week. I helped out on Tuesday, with a lunch for 75; Wednesday, a dinner for 50; and Thursday, a breakfast and lunch for 50.

We made veggie and turkey wraps and baked off cookies for lunch on Tuesday. Later, we prepped for the Wednesday meals. My friend, who is none too fond of baking, was more than happy to have me bake the desserts; cookies, pecan pie bars, and poundcakes.
While the goodies were in the oven, I helped her make veggie and turkey wraps for 75 people, then cut up fruits and vegetables.

Wednesday, I cut up and skewered the chicken (while baking more desserts) and made mashed potatoes while she cut up some more fruits, and made pasta salad and Pesto Pinwheels. Once things settled down, we chatted while making cucumber cups and Caprese skewers.

We were so busy making and prepping things I had barely enough time to snap photos. But here is the dinner menu we served on Wednesday.

The Artichoke Dip and the Pesto Pinwheels. The Teriyaki Chicken Skewers are on the chafing dish to the left, out of view.

The hors d'vour and dessert table. The Cucumber cups are filled with hummus. At the last minute, the manager lady rushed in, and gave us *shudder* store-bought Red Velvet and Carrot cake as a backup.

Thursday, I arrived at 6AM for the 7:30AM breakfast service. My friend was already in the kitchen, cooking hash browns and eggs. She had me prepare the fruit and the muffin tray, and make pancakes. It was a LOT of food, even for 50 people; there were so much leftovers and no one touched the pancakes. I think there were about a gallon of pancake batter leftover. My friend told me to toss it out, but I offered to take it home--cuz, you know, that's just me. I always give foods a second chance.

I had a lot of fun with this catering event. Although it can get stressful, once the food gets served, it's over--there's no rush of customers that filters in at the last minute, since there are only a set number of people. The menu is very flexible too. Maybe I'll incorporate catering into my business plan...someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment