Monday, December 19, 2011

Winter Break Part I

A few months ago, my friend A. gave me 15-lbs of chocolate; one 5-lbs dark, a 5-lbs of milk, and a 5-lbs of green mint chocolate. I was overjoyed--until I tasted it. I could immediately tell they were stored poorly, and had absorbed some funny odors from whatever was in her basement. They tasted gross.
Well, there goes my plan for making chocolate cakes, brownies, cookies, candies, etc....
Then I had a brilliant idea. If these can't be eaten anyway, I'll just turn them into a chocolate showpiece/centerpiece! So I made modeling chocolate with the dark and the green mint chocolate.

Conveniently, they are dark brown and green. Perfect for a Christmas tree! I got right to making the tree trunk.

I made 5 main roots, and pushed a dowel into the center for extra support.

For the branches, I threaded wires through the trunk, and packed them with more chocolate. I repeated the whole process several times.

After a few hours....finished with the branches. Now onto the leaves...
The leaves were the hardest. I wasn't sure how to shape the evergreen "leaves" (since they were technically a bunch of thin needles) without toiling for ten hours. But I figured it out, by cutting the leaves in a jagged, arrow-like shape and wrapping them around each branch.

Finished with the leaves! Now on to decorating...
I used frosting to stick candies onto the tree. For the star on top, I made a cast sugar star with a metal cookie cutter, and perched it atop the tree with wire.

Finished! Turned out pretty good. The room smelled sweet from the candies. I still have a lot of leftover modeling chocolate--what should I make next??

No comments:

Post a Comment