Saturday, December 10, 2011

Display Cakes Week 9

The final week is here...well, the preparation for it anyway. This week, we did mostly production to replenish our supply and to make sure we have enough cakes for everyone to make a 3-tiered wedding cake. Then we made our gum paste decorations to put on our cakes. They will be left out to dry and harden over the week.
It's winter, so I wanted to make a winter-themed wedding cake. I've been thinking about my cake entire week. I was formulating an image in my head what my cake will look like--yes, icy pale blue cake, with snowflakes dancing and swirling all around it. So I went and (after going through three different stores) found these:

Snowflake fondant cutters. They also leave a cool imprint too. I stamped out dozens of them, and pressed in pearl dragees on some.

I cut a few of them in half, and pasted the halves onto a whole one. This results in a 3D snowflake...

I also wanted a cake topper...yes, a giant snowflake that's different from all the other snowflakes. For the topper, I made one big snowflake by casting sugar in a metal snowflake cookie cutter. It turned out beautiful! I just prayed it won't recrystallize over the week. Aw well, if it does, I'll just make it again next week. After I cleaned up, some of us headed to Amano Chocolate Factory for a mini-field trip. Our Chef had arranged for us to meet there for a free tour.

The only photo I got for this place. Camera wasn't allowed inside the factory. There were tons of heavy machinery--huge sifters, roasters, grinders, and refiners. The inside smelled intensely of Pocky--a very strong smell of chocolate.
After the tour, they gave us a sample, a caramel-ganache truffle. It was so good! Turned into this liquid caramel-y chocolate lava flowing down my throat...mmmm it was awesome.

All right...next week, we assemble our cakes and finish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment