Thursday, December 1, 2011

Display Cakes Week 8

Display Cakes Week 8: Topsy Turvy Cake

We made Topsy-Turvy Cake this week. Topsy Turvy cake is....kinda hard to describe. Unlike a regular cake, the sides are sloped, giving the cake a "lop-sided" look. To make this cake, after filling and stacking two 6" cakes, we put the cake board that's been cut smaller than the cake on top of it...

The cake board is used as a guide to cut the sloped sides. Once cut, the entire thing is flipped upside down. The exact same thing is done to the larger 8" cake. Both cakes are crumb-coated and covered with fondant, then stacked to make the tiers.

I wanted the Apocalypse to the theme of my cake, so I made the Four Horsemen, the dragon, the bloody moon, black sun, and God (represented by the Greek letters alpha and omega).
I guess I overworked the fondant for the dragon, because the dragon was sagging pretty badly when I put him on the base.

It's hidden pretty well (thank goodness...) but the dragon is pinned up against the cake with wires and supported by skewers in his forelimbs.

The Four Horsemen (technically just the horses, I didn't have time to make the riders...). The white, red, black, and pale horses.

I painted the sun black and the moon bloody red, but the red got so dark it almost looked black.

I painted the Greek letters representing God with gold dust. Nice metallic sheen. Unfortunately, the fondant crumbled and the cake ended up with cracks in multiple places. But it turned out OK, not as good as I had hoped though.

No comments:

Post a Comment