Thursday, June 23, 2011

Yet another cupcake flavor from Diva's Cafe

The summer break has begun! I'll post the recap on the Week 11 the Last Supper as soon as I get the motivation to :P Right now I just wanna relax and welcome the long-awaited hot weather.
I've been experimenting with Swiss buttercreams. There are tons of different recipes out there for it, but the main ingredients are nothing much more than egg whites, sugar, and butter. The ratio is 1:2:3. So for 1 oz of egg whites, you need 2 oz of sugar and 3 oz of butter. Simple enough.

Unfortunately, with my ten-year-old hand mixer (that locks up when the speed is increased above medium), my ability to whip things properly was rather crippled. So I generally end up with a somewhat dense buttercream, not like the fluffy, creamy kind that Diva's cupcakes are crowned with. It was the last straw when the mixer locked up on me three times while whipping a buttercream. We finally went and bought a new one.

I tried it out the next day, on another Swiss buttercream. Holy cow. This thing was powerful. And loud. Next time, I gotta remember to wear ear plugs.

So I made the buttercream, put that in the fridge...and then went to Diva's.

I wanted to see if they had any new flavors out and also how their buttercream compared to mine. I entered the store and ventured toward their display case. I spotted a variety I haven't seen before... Yogurt-Kiwi (gluten-free). Compared to the other ordinary-looking cupcakes, this one stood out like a green-and-black poison arrow frog amidst an army of brown frogs. Curious-looking would be the best way to describe it.

And I myself was curious enough to try it. As I paid for the cake, I asked the cashier what they used to make it gluten-free. He said that they used almond flour, a common ingredient used to make many gluten-free baked goods.

Here it is...Yogurt-Kiwi Cupcake (gluten-free). First of all, the buttercream. I wanted to double check on the texture of it, and also of this yogurt-kiwi flavor. The texture was, as usual, perfect. Absolutely smooth, melt-in-your-mouth, buttery but not greasy, not too sweet...but the flavor that it indicated was almost absent. I could taste the yogurt, but no kiwi. Kiwis are a difficult fruit flavor to bring out, since it's so subtle and delicate. It was more like yogurt buttercream. And the cake? Meh. The texture was coarse, and it had this 'interesting' aftertaste that didn't taste like almond. I savored the last morsel to try to figure out what that taste was. It tasted so familiar....then it hit me. .....Tofu...??? Wait, no...soybeans! This cake contained soybean flour! Unfortunately, the soybean flavor and yogurt (and maybe kiwi) didn't go together too well. Even my dad, who has a horrible sweet tooth, said that he didn't like it much.

Later, I softened my Swiss buttercream and tried it on a tiny piece of banana bread. OMGoodness. I got it! Thank you new mixer, and thank you Mom for buying it for me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment