Monday, June 20, 2011

Gastronomical Exploration: Millcreek Cafe & Eggworks

A few days ago, my mom's molar started hurting. She called her dentist, who was nice enough to see her first thing at eight o'clock Monday morning. She got it pulled, and thank goodness it won't be bothering her again. Since it was rare for us to be out and about this early in the morning, we decided to go out for a breakfast--a true rarity indeed. I chose Millcreek Cafe & Eggworks (that's the entire name of the restaurant), a local diner with good reviews--supposedly one of the best breakfast places in Salt Lake City.
When we got there, we got seated promptly by a friendly staff.

The decor was clean and modern, with paintings from local artists adorning the walls. Behind me were huge windows that overlooked the street, and provided great lighting. A modern metal and stone sculpture sits on their lawn. This place is quite lovely.

Mom didn't order anything (since she just got her tooth pulled), but Dad ordered the Classic, which comes with two eggs, two meats (choice of ham, bacon, or sausage links), hash browns, and a bread (choice of toast or English muffin). I ordered the Veggie Egg White Scramble, which was a special for that day--I've never had an egg white egg dish at a restaurant, so I was excited.
Our server was very attentive and nice, but the food took quite a while. It was a slow, Monday morning, and there was only one other table besides us, so I didn't know what was taking them so long.
We waited maybe 15 minutes--finally, our food arrives.
Dad's food looked decent. Mine?

Looks fine on the outside. The hash browns were golden and crispy. But the scrambled eggs? I was envisioning a mound of fluffy, cooked-just-right egg whites interlaced with chopped sauteed veggies. This was a wet, soggy, greasy mess, with consistency of cottage cheese. And it was lukewarm. See the pile of shredded Parmesan on top? Yep, the food wasn't hot enough to melt it. I lost my appetite immediately and couldn't even finish half of it.

I don't know if other dishes on their menu is better, but I'm afraid of coming back here now.
Update: So I ended up taking 3/4 of it home, thinking maybe it'll be palatable if it's served nice and hot. I put the eggs out on a plate, gently reheated it at the lowest possible power in the microwave. Both mom and I tasted it again--it had a decent flavor, but we both agreed that it was way too greasy and didn't eat it. After letting it sit for a bit, I was about to scrape it into the garbage--and this is what happened.

It stuck to the plate. Did I mention it was greasy??

No comments:

Post a Comment