Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gastronomical Exploration: So Cupcakes

So Cupcakes.... I've had a few minor negative experience with this place. The first time I went, it was Monday and they were closed. The second time, it was late in the day...and they were sold out of cupcakes!

Finally made it to their business hours. They have their own cupcake truck--I believe they do deliveries too. What little girl wouldn't want a pink truck loaded with cupcakes arrive at her door on her birthday?

It was a little past 10am when I got there, so I figured there will be plenty of choices.
There were quite a few. There were the basics, the chocolates and the vanilla, and then mint-chocolate, coconut...then there was the bacon. The cashier told me that it's maple-bacon cupcake, something that I've seen and heard of only around the online community of foodie bloggers. The conservative palate of Salt Lake City certainly would find this little stud too exotic and intimidating. So I picked him. And the Chocolate Mousse cupcake.
Then my eyes caught...macarons! Unlike the bumpy, unsightly bivalve at Sweet Tooth Fairy, these were smooth-shelled, and perfectly domed. I got a pistachio and a coffee flavor.

The Maple-Bacon cupcake and the Chocolate Mousse Cupcake. When I bit into the Maple-Bacon, all I could taste was maple. A good maple flavor. The bacon doesn't come in until after chewing on it. Both the cake and the frosting had the right amount of sweetness and again, great maple flavor. The bacon was just there for the accent, albeit a nice one. The bacon was a little chewy from sitting on the frosting though. Then I cut into the Chocolate Mousse...

It was filled with chocolate mousse. It looks delicious...but the texture of the mousse was a bit off. It had the raw cocoa powder taste to it and wasn't as smooth as I had hoped. The frosting was the typical American buttercream rich and sweet. And what's up with the white stuff suspended in it?? The cake was nice and moist though, not too sweet, unlike the sugar-laden Sweet Tooth Fairy's.
...So that was my lunch. Hope my mother doesn't mind that my meals have been replaced by cupcakes and pastries instead of real food.
Then onto my 'dessert', the macarons...

The lovely smooth shell. To test it out, I carefully cut into it with a serrated-edge knife....

OMGoodness....perfect macarons! No holes, soft/chewy interior, crisp shell, great flavor on the fillings....I mean, the pistachio one actually tasted like pistachios, unlike the bland, almost-sandy macarons at Les Madeleine's. I would come back here just for the macarons. They actually make theirs right.

No comments:

Post a Comment