Sunday, April 20, 2014

Marzipan class at La Bonne Vie...and Happy Easter!!

On Wednesdays before Easter, we (well, it was mostly just me) held a marzipan-modeling class for children.  I've never worked with marzipan before (because #1 I don't like them and #2 they're expensive), so Chef gave me some marzipan for me to practice with.

Marzipan is basically a mixture of fondant and almond paste.  The result is a mass very much like Play-Doh.
Since it's Easter, I made a bunny and a chick....

Not too shabby for my first time playing with them.  But then again, I've worked with Play-Doh in the past so this was a no-brainer.

An hour before the class started, I made a big batch of white marzipan, separated a few chunks and dyed those in several colors.

I carted the blobs of colored marzipan, a few sample pictures, and gold boards for the kids to La Bonne Vie.
The kids had a blast playing with the marzipan!  Some made a caterpillar...

Some made an orange panda (I didn't make a whole lot of black marzipan).


Some were pretty detailed and elaborate, like this owl here.


I was told that this whole event is a set of two classes, with maximum of four kids (must be 6 to 12 years old) per session.  At least that what it's supposed to be.  Well, the first class went fine, four kids showed up, just as planned.  At the second class, however, four families showed, bringing their six kids.  And we only allowed six kids because two more mothers showed up, bringing their three kids...and any more than six would've turned the dainty little French pastry shop into a chaotic preschool.  So we had to ask the two mothers to wait another 45 minutes for the second class to be over...and I ended up teaching a third class, with two mothers and three 3-yr. olds (note the age requirement mentioned earlier).  I was exhausted...but everyone had so much fun they asked if we're doing this again next year.

For my private Easter fun, I made chocolate moai monoliths using a silicone mold.

They're statues from the Easter Island...get it??  I made two kinds, one is filled with oozy brandy-caramel, and the other is rum-raisin ganache, upon Mom's request.  They were pretty delish.  So that was how I spent the Holy Week.  Happy Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment