Saturday, May 12, 2012

Inside Les Madeleine's kitchen...and I got the job!!

After graduating from the Art Institute, I've been on a job search (of course).    The resort area--where all the 5-star hotels are--involves 33 miles of commute one-way, and I wanted to avoid that.  So I've applied to several restaurants reasonably close to where I live, but they had no pastry chef positions open.
I've mentioned this in my past post, but that's when my friend offered to hook me up with a pastry chef, the owner of Les Madeleine and get some bakery experience while I look for a job.  I was scheduled to start working (sans pay) the beginning of May.
Few weeks went by...and I was still looking.  I was starting to lose hope--when I stumbled across a "Fudge & Pastry Chef" position, posted by a company called Scheels, a sporting goods store.  Strange, I thought.  Why would a sporting goods store be looking for a pastry chef?
It turns out that this place actually has a pastry shop/cafe inside their store.  Yes, it's huge.
So I emailed them my resume.  They called me pretty quickly (within a day or two) and asked me to come in and fill out an application.  So the next day, I went and filled out an application--they then had me take an aptitude test!  It wasn't hard, just a few basic math, grammar, spelling, and writing problems.  Guess it makes sense that they don't want to hire people who can't do basic elementary school math :P
After three interviews (yes...three) they actually asked me if I am interested in working with them!  I replied with a definitive YES!  I am officially hired!! :D

But I don't start until July.  They're still in the process of hiring people, so they want to wait before starting the employee training.  I still have about a month before I start working.  Which was PERFECT, because that will give me enough time to work at Les Madeleine bakery to gain valuable experience.  I have to say this...Thank you God.  THANK YOU. THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!!!
I arrived at 5AM last Tuesday.  Boy was I sleepy...
I just stood and watched the very first day, so things got kind of boring.  Then starting the second day, I got to help with a lot of stuff.

By the end of the week, I was helping them make the dough for handmade doggie treats, cut and portion things, make frostings, etc.
Here is the chocolate religieuse (pronounced "ruly Jews".  Seriously).  Meaning "nun", it's a pastry composed of two choux cremes (filled with chocoalte pastry cream) one smaller than the other, with the smaller one perched on top.  The chocolate glaze acts as a glue to hold it in place.  It's then finished with Italian buttercream.
These are kouign amann, the shop's specialty.  It's like croissant that's layered with sugar and baked, resulting in a rather crunchy and dense but buttery and caramelly croissant-like pastry.
Pate brisee (French pie dough) for the lemon tarts, ready to be baked.
Aaaaand the handmade dog biscuits, also ready to be baked.  They are baked for about 5~10 minutes, at which point the oven is turned off and they are left to dry out overnight.  Made of various whole grains, these preservative-free canine treats can be eaten by people too (although very hard/tough).

It's been only the first week and I'm already having too much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment