Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Faux Pierre Herme's Montebello

My family (including myself) have not been feeling well lately.  Maybe it's the extremely unstable weather during the month of April (typical Utah weather).  With the high of 88F on Tuesday and 32F on Friday (accompanied by sleet/snow), our bodies are having the hardest time adjusting.

As a result, I haven't had my usual "drive" to bake and make desserts for the past week or so.  But I managed to muster enough strength and willpower to make something for our Sunday Bible study.  It takes a lot of planning and concentration to make a whole torte, but an individual-sized Parisian pastries are more manageable.
So I made something that I've always wanted to make:  Pierre Herme's Montebello.

Monsieur Herme's Montebello is composed of dacquoise base filled with pistachio creme, topped with fresh strawberries.  For my version, I used sweet tart shell as a base, and pistachio "creme Chiboust"--pistachio butter with creme Anglaise lightened with Italian meringue.
 The tartlet shells, baked and ready to be filled.
 Prior to filling them with the pistachio "Chiboust", I applied a dollop of strawberry jam for a little tang and to intensify the strawberry flavor.
 Then a small mound of straight pistachio butter, for textural contrast.
 Filled with pistachio "Chiboust"....
 ...topped with fresh strawberries.  The berries are glazed with rose-infused nappage for a nice shine and just a hint of rose flavor.  Before the glaze dries, finely chopped pistachios are sprinkled on. 


They turned out nice!  Granted, they're nowhere near the quality of the real thing (I doubt I'll ever reach the pastry demi-god status of Pierre Herme or Jacque Genin and other masters), but were quite good nevertheless.  Hugh and little Sophie thoroughly enjoyed deconstructing and savoring them.

No comments:

Post a Comment