Saturday, November 19, 2011

Display Cakes Week 6

Display Cakes Week 6: Fondant Groom's Cake!

We made our groom's cake today, except instead of buttercream, we used fondant to decorate our cakes with. Chef instructor also showed us how to airbrush colors onto our cakes.

For my groom's cake, I decided to make a Tonberry. A Tonberry is considered to be one of the most annoying, if not extremely dangerous, enemy character in the Final Fantasy series. He looks like little green lizard with a fish tail, carrying a lantern and a chef's knife. In the game, he slowly walks towards the player's party, and when close enough, he uses his signature Chef's Knife attack, which causes massive damage or instant death. He wears a brown monk's robe with a hood.
I used two 6"round cakes to build this guy.

During the building process. It's slowly coming together. Once assembled, I made his chef's knife out of fondant, and his lantern out of brown fondant and a tiny battery-operated lighting.

There he is, all assembled. I turned his lantern on, and hooked it to his hand with a piece of wire. I had to use a skewer to stabilize his knife.

I'm glad he turned out awesome! Incidentally, his lantern stayed lit for 4~5 days, at least according to my friend who saw it later in the week.

And there's another thing I noticed about Tonberry while constructing him. He is basically a fish with four limbs. That's right...he's a Darwin fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment