Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Display Cakes Week 4

For Week 4, we made our Groom's cake using buttercream frosting. Groom's cake is a 3D carved cake that can be shaped into anything. Some people made a dinosaur, others made a puppy, another person made an X-Box controller. I decided to make a mini-version of Osaka Castle.

I used two quarter sheet cakes. Osaka Castle is five-stories high, but I had to down-size it to three. The cake, unable to support itself, would've fallen over otherwise. I began by stacking the cakes, then carving down the roof.

Work in progress. The scraps were used to create the winged parts of the roof. Once carved, the cake was frosted with the crumb coat.

Once coated, we put the cakes in the fridge to set the frosting. The next day, we took it out to finish decorating with Swiss buttercream. Mine was pretty labor intensive, since this castle has a lot of intricate designs and decorative work done on it. It was mentally tiring to pay full attention and stay focused on the cake for three hours. But I did it!

Osaka Castle cake! I think it would've looked better if I piped each of the roof tiles instead of drawing it with a skewer, but still not bad for my first attempt.

Close-up of the "fish". These "fish" adorning the rooftops of castles in Japan are actually killer whales. Mine looks like...a catfish.
Anyway, that was Week 4. We start working with fondant starting Week 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment