Friday, July 1, 2011

Gastronomical Exploration: Mini's Cupcakes

Yet another cupcake place! I've heard a lot of good things about Mini's Cupcakes...that and my friend works at one of their shops.

The display of cupcakes. I came here in the morning--but I would imagine that towards the evening, the sun would be striking them. Do they have to move this entire thing towards the back to prevent a meltdown?
They had an impressive array of flavor varieties. There were S'mores, Key Lime Pie, Tiramisu, Peanutbutter-Chocolate, Cookies&Cream...
The cashier was very friendly and nice--it was funny how he confessed that he had made a mistake and added lemon zest instead of lime zest to the cupcakes, so it's actually Lemon pie with lime curd filling. I assured him that is not a problem, and if it tastes good, then it's not a mistake.

So I picked his "mistake", the Lemon-Lime Meringue Pie. Then he spotted a 'reject' Tiramisu cupcake (frosting was very lopsided) and gave that to me for free as a sample :)

On the way home, the already lopsided cupcake got even more disheveled, as the warm temperature caused the frosting to slide off. The cashier said that the Tiramisu cupcake is vanilla cupcake soaked in coffee syrup, with coffee frosting. I could definitely see the coffee granules in the frosting...which was yet another American buttercream, which was borderline too sweet and gritty (from the sugar, not the coffee). The flavor was good, although it had a strange aftertaste. I'm glad I got this one for free; I doubt I would get this one again considering the price (yes, their cupcakes are pretty pricey, but they use quality ingredients).

The Lemon-Lime Meringue. The curd filling was very good, not too tart, not too sweet. The meringue on top nice and fluffy. Both cakes were moist and flavorful, but a little tough and dense.

Overall, this is a good cupcake shop--but I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay the $2 for this mini-size...

No comments:

Post a Comment