Monday, July 4, 2011

Gastronomical Exploration: Creme de Bakery

A second post for the day! Since classes start next week, I figured I should keep up on my blogging before my life gets too hectic.

Creme de Bakery

The last time I came here was back in January. We had gotten their green tea and chestnut mousse cakes--I remember them being sweet but bland, airy and light but strangely like a Nerf ball. Granted, we got there towards the evening, so the cakes may not have been fresh as they should've been. Even then, I didn't think I would go back there.
This week, as I browsed through the web looking for various pastry shops to visit in Salt Lake, I checked out the reviews of this bakery. "What did other customers think of this place?" I wondered. I was surprised to see that it had really good reviews. Everyone was saying how the bread is so soft and fresh, how their sandwiches are delicious, etc. Maybe they improved since January, I thought. So curiosity got the best of me, and I went there for the second time.

I came a little before noon/lunch, so there was a pretty good variety. They had Pork buns, Coconut Buns, Mung Bean buns, Cream buns, and an assortment of their mousse cakes.

I had a hard time deciding which one to get, but I chose this one--Blueberry Cream Cheese Mousse Cake. Blueberries are in season, so if they're using fresh ones, then this cake should be blueberry-licious. Since the other reviewers were raving about the breads here, I also got their Cream Bun.

Now, when an item has the word "Cream" in its name, then it should have cream in it. This? That filling just barely peeking out of the slit in the bun was actually sweetened whipped butter. Technically butter is a cream, but the name is misleading.
And I didn't notice this when the lady/owner packaged the cake for me, but....

...Whoa. She squished the cake into the container! Remeber how the white chocolate decoration was sitting prettily on top of the swirled cream? Now it's embedded. They need to either get larger containers or make smaller cakes.

Welllllll lets see if they've changed since the last time I was there.... I took a bite.
...............meh. They haven't changed. It was the same, Nerf-ball sponge cake with a borderline rubbery mousse. And the flavor? The blueberries aren't fresh. They might have been either dried or frozen. The mousse had a mild blueberry flavor, but cream cheese flavor at all. What bugged me the most was the texture. The cake was the same, nice and airy--yet dry. It lacked the moisture that the usual tortes have. And then, just on a whim, I took a small portion of the cake and dropped it on the plate. It BOUNCED. Seriously. Normally mousse cakes won't stand such abuse, but this one tolerated it well for a cake.
Maybe mousse cakes in China are supposed to be like this; I've never been to China or to Chinatown and had their Chinese-style European cakes. Either way, I doubt I'll come back here for their cakes. Maybe for their breads.

No comments:

Post a Comment