Friday, July 2, 2010

My Birthday Part I

Last Tuesday was my birthday!! *sigh* I'm another year older...
But my sweet parents took me out to Dodo Restaurant for birthday lunch.
It's a place I've been wanting to go to for a while, mainly for their extensive dessert menu. Apparently, it changes daily--a nice contrast to one of those "thaw, cut, and plate" desserts served at other restaurants.

It was a nice, modern restaurant, polished and sophisticated.
We decided to order two entrees and split them among the three of us.


Spinach & Feta Quiche, with creamy tomato soup and pinenut relish. Wow... the quiche was done just right, with crispy crust, and the pinenut relish went really well with the quiche.

Shrimp Salad Sandwich w/ Gazpacho. This was really good too, just the right amount of mayonnaise and flavor. I was surprised Dad liked the Gazpacho...despite the fact he hates cilantro.

Then it was time for the long-awaited dessert...
The restaurant have their dessert menu written on the black board mounted on the wall. Goodness...they must have had about twenty different selections! I had a hard time deciding which one to pick, but finally decided on the "Lundi Gras" Cake--mostly because I've never heard of it. The waiter comes up (this place has GREAT friendly service BTW) and asks if we would like a dessert. We said of course, and then I asked what the Lundi Gras Cake is like. As soon as I hear him describe it as "rich, thick, dark chocolate truffle...." I said, "OK, we're getting that one!!"

And this is the best part: he tells us that since it's the happy hour, the desserts are currently buy one, get one free...so we get to choose another one!!

So I ordered the Flan as well....

Flan with Caramel Sauce. It was pretty dense, not the texture I'm used to with Japanese-style flans, and really, really rich/heavy. Great flavor though.

Then lo and behold...the Lundi Gras Cake!

By this time, we were all quite full, so we took it home. We had it for dessert that night. OMGoodness. The genoise outer layer had a nice, amaretto flavor--just the right amount--but the truffle part was literally, like the thick chocolate cream filling in a Godiva truffle. I could tell that they used high quality chocolate for this. But alas, the cake was so rich, it took three of us THREE NIGHTS to finish it (we sliced it ever so thinly per serving)! ....And apparently there are people out there who can eat this cake in one sitting....

I would definitely come back to this place again, and try the other desserts!

So that was my birthday. Thank you Mom & Dad!













No comments:

Post a Comment