Sunday, July 7, 2013

New job--at Grand America hotel

Yes--I got a new job!  I got hired as a pastry cook at the Grand America hotel.  This 5-star hotel boasts a restaurant, a toy store, a French pastry shop, a tea room, and a spa (with massage rooms, saunas, pedicures, waxing, the works.), with fitness rooms and pools, luxury suites...

My first day on the job involved plating desserts....for 1000 people.  That's right, over a 1000 people.  We had several different options for desserts.  This one here is caramel mousse bar with creme anglaise.

And check out this massive array of raspberry-lemon meringue tartlets...

We do the "assembly line" of plating, where the lead person(s) puts down the sauce, the second in line puts down the main dessert, the next puts garnishes or finishing touches, then the last person takes the finished dessert and places it on a rack.


Vanilla cheesecake with white chocolate ganache glaze, macerated berries, graham cracker crumbles, and strawberry coulis.  The plating is not as complex as the next one here...

 
Napoleon, with caramel sauce, yogurt gel, and chocolate rubble.  One jittery hand and the chocolate rubble goes all over the plate.
 
Dessert plating is something I never got to do while at Pierre's bakery, but something I've always wanted to do.  I haven't been here long, but I'm already learning so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment