Saturday, July 21, 2012

Gastronomical Exploration: Indochine

For our last exploration before dad returns--and before I went on my training to Springfield--mom and I went to Indochine, a Vietnamese restaurant.

This particular restaurant have a very special, sentimental value to me.  It was at this very restaurant that I had my stroke three years ago.  We sat down at a table a few feet away from the booth where it happened.  Mom shuddered at the thought when I pointed that out:

Me: "See that booth over there behind us?  That's where I had my stroke!"
Mom: *shudder*
Me: "What? It's all good.  What's important is that I lived to come back and dine here again."

Sentiments aside, I ordered a soup & salad combo and mom, who was craving noodles, ordered a beef pho.

I got the hot & sour soup, which was very flavorful and chockful of mushrooms.  It wasn't too hot and had a nice tang.
My salad came with a generous topping of shoestring potatoes, which were nice and crispy, and a side of marinated flank steak.  I gave the steak to my mom, who had it with her pho.  The vinaigrette was good, but a little sweet.


Beef pho.  She ate all the noodles, but still had some reservations about the broth--she's not too fond of the Chinese five-spice.  Otherwise, she really enjoyed it.

Again, we're just not a big fan of Vietnamese cuisine flavors.  It's not that the food was bad--they were actually excellent--but it's not something that we would return repeatedly for.  Really, whether the food is classified as "good" or "bad" all boils down to the individual's personal tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment