Friday, October 14, 2011

A weeklong break...

Done with the finals! We get a weeklong break before next quarter starts. What to do with all this time? Bake, of course!

By this time, my parents have gotten sick of the crusty/chewy, flavorful variety breads that I've been bringing home. When asked what kind of bread she would like, Mom responded, "Plain white bread."... Awww, you're no fun....

But hey, I should be able to bake any kind of bread, plain or interesting. So I decided to try the white pan bread recipe from the Advanced Baking & Pastry book.


Turned out really nice, with great soft texture. I baked one in a regular loaf pan and the other one in Pullman loaf pan (which has a lid on it).
Next, there was this Sourdough Tahini Loaf recipe that I've made before and wanted to tweak a bit. What if I substituted Nutella for the tahini? That'll make one tasty bread...


I also added chocolate chips to it. The result? ...eh. There wasn't enough Nutella flavor to it. For the amount of Nutella used, (1/4 C) I don't think it's worth making. Might as well add Frangelico or hazelnut extract to pane de cioccolate (the chocolate bread)...which I need to do very soon.

I then wanted to retry the Sourdough Multigrain bread. I have made this bread before, back in May, and it turned our very nice. I wanted to find out what went wrong during my Artisan Breads final. I tried a different Sourdough Multigrain recipe--this one is from the Advanced Baking & Pastry...




Turned out nice, with great crumb and great flavor. This recipe instructed to add the grain/nuts mixture after the dough has been kneaded to full development. The one used in my final didn't. Someday, I'll get to the bottom of this...

No comments:

Post a Comment