Saturday, May 21, 2011

Just Chillin' at Diva's Cupcakes

Mom and I went to Diva's....again. This place is gradually turning into our favorite afternoon snacking spot. One time when we went late in the afternoon, most of the cupcakes were gone--yes, it was our fault. Now we go in the mornings or early afternoons when there are more varieties.
We walked in, and there, in the display case, was this lovely princess, looking rather lonely sitting there by herself amongst the other homely cookies and the scones...


"Chocolate Rose" was her name. I immediately pointed to her and told the cashier, "I would like THAT one." Turned out she was the last one for the day.
With a mug of steaming coffee in hand, Mom and I headed to the greenhouse (yes, this cute bakery/cafe has a greenhouse where the guests can sit and enjoy the greenery and the welcome humidity while sipping their favorite drinks).
The Chocolate Rose has a dark chocolate cake base, with rose-flavored/scented buttercream, adorned with silver dragees. I took a knife and cut this beauty in half, and shared with my mom. How did the cake taste?.....




The buttercream was, as always, creamy and velvety smooth. And yes, there was a hint of rose towards the end, just barely enough to be detected. Flower scents/flavorings in pastries can be tricky, usually there's either too much or too little. This one could've had just a tad bit more rose flavor. As for the cake....uh... It wasn't gross, but it definitely had that "Betty Crocker cake mix" taste to it. The texture was also similar to that of a cake mix. If that really was the case, I am glad I used that 50% off coupon for this possibly pauper-in-the-disguise-of-a-princess. That being said, I would still come back here again...because I just love the laid back, warm atmosphere here, and the creative varieties of cupcakes alone is enough to make me return.

No comments:

Post a Comment