Saturday, March 19, 2011

Rants, Raves, and Dad's Birthday

...I've noticed that all I talk about is school and work, and not a whole lot of what goes on in my actual life--that is, if it exists. I've been having some personal issues at work. Nothing major, just little things:



A few weeks ago, the managers and the line cooks had a meeting about the menu. I wasn't invited, which was OK with me at the time--I figured they're talking about lunch/dinner menus, and not about desserts. But then, after the meeting, one of the line cooks comes up to me and announces that he wants 'us' to start making clafoutis for dessert. He's gonna bring in a tart pan, bake a crust, and we can use whatever fruits we want, and it'll be delicious!!!
.....OK, first of all, if they were planning on talking about desserts, why wasn't I invited to the meeting? And if I'm considered not too important, that dessert menus are up to the line cooks and not to me, then why is my name on the dessert menu as the Patisserie??

A week later, sure enough, the new guy comes in with a tart pan and baked a peach clafouti.


I was very skeptical. This is the same guy who makes creme brulee that looks like this:


....This is the picture before being bruleed. Notice the very browned/burned top. Notice the custard pulling away from the sides. He had apparently baked these babies at 400F. The inside was nicely curdled too. I wonder if he has the "brulee" part confused. I do hope he knows that "brulee" means they're "burned" after being baked and not during.


So he baked the clafouti, cut a slice, and took it to the owner. It looked fine, just like any regular clafouti. I took a small sample.


.....EW


I totally should've taken a photo of this crap. The crust itself tasted OK, but the filling was very bland, almost like he didn't put sugar in it. The amount of filling was very skimpy, almost as thick as the crust. The out-of-season peaches were tasteless.


At this point, I decided to quit my job. I just didn't feel needed there.


Either way, my priority is school. I found out that school next quarter is going to be hectic--A la carte kitchen, the school restaurant, three days a week, 5 hours each. There was no way I can work and totally concentrate on school.


But before I left, I baked a sample dessert:


Caramel flan. Much easier to serve, no brulee-ing required. I gave this plated one to the owner and he seemed to really like it.


Goodbye, Naked Fish!


So that's what's been going on at work. Now back to my home life...


We have a Bible study at our house every other week, and I serve desserts for the people. I like to use whatever fruits/ingredients that go on sale that week. Last time, strawberries were on sale, so I made a strawberry & cream layer cake (a.k.a. Japanese strawberry shortcake).





I also had some fun with the strawberries; just carved a section out from the sides, and piped whipped cream and melted chocolate for the eyes. I can't tell whether the berries are singing or screaming in terror.




And of course, little Hugh and Sophie left the berries til the end. Kids tend to save the 'cute' part of a cake til the very end (they often do this with marzipan figurines)


Then, it was Dad's birthday the beginning of March, so we invited a few of our family friends over for a party. I baked a chocolate-banana layer cake...



Chocolate chiffon layered with chocolate cream, banana slices, and chocolate-covered nuts--decorated with chocolate garnish, bananas, pearl dragees, and chopped chocolate.


A few people noted that the crosses make the cake look like a 'graveyard' LOL. I quickly explained that the theme is 'ocean bottom'...see the fish/ichthus and the pearls and the waves of chocolate??? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment